- June 2005
The International Who's Who of Commercial Arbitrators (2005) rates him as "Singapore's leading lawyer for commercial arbitration expertise" and said "Mr Hwang received more nominations from clients and peers in the course of the research than any other commercial arbitration specialist in the country, and was described as 'sharp with a good mind' and 'number one' by respondents".
- Global Arbitration Review ranks him No.1 out of 25 of Asia's Leading Arbitrators, based on the number of nominations received during editorial research.
- The Legal 500.com lists identifies as one of Singapore's top 3 arbitrators.
- The Asia Pacific Legal 500 2005/2006 lists him as one of the leading individuals in dispute resolution.
- In Chambers Global 2007 - The Client's Guide he is described as "well respected and praised specifically for his presentation skills as both counsel and arbitrator...utterly dependable...an expert's touch when administering procedures".
- The Best of the Best 2007 (by Legal Media Group) included him in its list of the top 32 commercial arbitration practitioners in the world based on answers to over 4000 questionnaires sent to senior practitioners or in-house counsel in over 60 jurisdictions.
- PLC Which Lawyer Yearbook 2008" described him as Sole practitioner Michael Hwang is another pre-eminent expert, especially in arbitration, where he competes with some of the best-known local and international firms for instructions" and ranks him as one of the four leading dispute resolution practitioners in Singapore.
- PLC Cross-Border Handbooks 2007/2008, Volume 1, Dispute Resolution rated him with 4 ticks and noted "best used for: senior counsel and arbitrator, primarily working in international arbitrations. Currently vice chair of the International Council for Commercial Arbitration (ICCA)"
- Who's Who Legal 2008 describes him as "the most highly nominated individual in (its Singapore) research" and a "quite outstanding lawyer" who has "a practical sense and a wealth of knowledge".
- Chambers Asia 2008 describes him as an "a brilliant world class arbitrator" who is "popular, prominent, incisive and decisive".
- Asia Pacific Legal 500 2008/9 describes him as "in terms of diversity of cases and sheer academic prowess, there is no finer Senior Counsel working in Singapore today".
- The Best of the Best 2009 rates him as one of the top 38 commercial arbitrator practitioners in the world.
- Guide to the World's Leading Commercial Arbitration Experts (8th Ed) describes him as having received personal nominations for inclusion placing him in the world's top 15 in this field.
- PLC Which Lawyer (14th Ed) Yearbook 2009 describes him as one of the 3 leading individual dispute resolution practitioners in Singapore
- Who's Who Legal - Commercial Arbitration 2010 describes him as "very meticulous, versatile and a household name"
- Guide to the Word's Leading Litigation Lawyers (9th Edition) describes him as one of Singapore's leading litigation lawyers.
- The International Who's Who of Construction Lawyers 2010 rated him as being among 421 of the Word's leading construction lawyers.
- Asialaw Leading Lawyers 2010 describes him as one of the most highly acclaimed legal experts in the Asia Pacific region following an extensive survey of senior corporate executives, in-house counsel and private practice lawyers.
- Chambers Asia 2010 ranks him in Band No 1 for arbitrators in Asia, and describes him as "he put Singapore on the arbitration map - he is a doyen of the scene, with tremendous breadth of knowledge and a sensible, reliable and innovative approach"
- Named in Dealmakers Annual Awards 2010 as award winner in the categories of "Commercial Arbitration Law Firm of the Year" and "Business Crime Law Firm of the Year"
- Chambers Asia-Pacific 2011 describes him as "He has a formidable reputation and is regarded as an 'extraordinary, standout arbitrator' with a controlled approach to arbitration which 'gets everybody working together rather than against each other and makes things much better from the perspective of getting the right result'...He is a highly respected figure in the [litigation] market, praised by market sources as "one of the brightest, most brilliant minds in Singapore".
- Global Arbitration Review named him as one of the 7 short-listed candidates for the Inaugural GAR "Arbitrator of the Year" award for 2011
- Selected by peers for inclusion in the 3rd Edition of "Best Lawyers" listed for Singapore in the areas of Arbitration , Mediation and Litigation for 2011
- Named in PLC Cross-Border Dispute Resolution Book 2011/2012 as one of the leading lawyers for Singapore
- Named in the Guide to the World's Leading Experts in Commercial Arbitration 2011, as one of the world's pre-eminent experts in Commercial Arbitration
- Named in the Guide to the World's Leading Construction Lawyers 2011 as one of the world's pre-eminent construction practitioners
- Named in The Best of the Best 2011 as one of the 39 top commercial arbitration practitioners in the world.
- "Chambers Asia-Pacific 2011" ranks him as a "Star Individuals" Arbitrator (above Band 1) and describes him as "He has a formidable reputation and is regarded as an ´extraordinary, standout arbitrator´ with a controlled approach to arbitration which ´gets everybody working together rather than against each other and makes things much better from the perspective of getting the right result". He is widely praised for his exceptional knowledge and incisive and innovative approach to legal issues: "On matters of law his reputation and analysis are unparalleled. He has the ability to see the nub of the issue, and his experience enables him to accurately forecast how it might be resolved". "He is a highly respected figure in the [litigation] market, praised by market sources as "one of the brightest, most brilliant minds in Singapore".
- Selected by peers for inclusion in The International Who’s Who of Commercial Construction 2012 and The International Who’s Who of Business Lawyers 2012 as being among one of the world’s leading arbitration specialists
- Chambers Asia Pacific 2012 lists him under 3 “Star Individuals” in the International Section of “Most in Demand Arbitrators” and describes him as “undoubtedly a star and in the A-League for arbitrators…he put Singapore on the map for arbitration and his practice crosses the globe…he wins universal acclaim for the precision of his legal analysis…he is very efficient and very clear in identifying the issues and keeping to sensible hearing times…he is rightly viewed above the rest; when you are before him, you always need to be prepared for intellectual questions which go beyond the immediate issues”.
- Nominated by Who's Who Legal 2013 (Commercial Litigation) as one of Singapore's top 11 commercial litigators
- Chambers Legal Practice Guide: Litigation 2014 - 2015 ranks him as one our "Star Individuals" (i.e. top tier) and describes him as "one of the outstanding arbitrators in Asia . his expertise covers a vast range of sectors, such as bank finance, company law, real estate and IP".
- Chambers Global 2015 lists him as within Band 1 of "Most in Demand Arbitrators - Singapore" and describes him as "the busiest guy in town" and "very active and sharp".
- Nominated by "Asia IP Experts 2015" as a leading lawyer
- Nominated by "Asia IP Experts 2015" (Litigation)
- Named in "GLE 2015 Awards Winner" as International Arbitration Lawyer of the Year in Singapore 2015